Sprint Retrospective 6

During this sprint we actually accomplished more than any of the previous sprints. Together as a group we added in different pieces to the intake form and submitted a pull request with our completed tasks. I personally added the primary household income field as well as worked with Tic to make adjustments to my previous task, household size. Everyone else more or less completed their tasks as well. This sprint showed that given the foundational pieces that took us most of the semester to acquire, we could complete some notable work in a sprint.

In terms of how we divided the work, we simply each took a task on a volunteer basis until everyone had one task. After this point there was still one remaining task that was purdenant to what we expected to get done in this sprint I took on the household size task at the end of the last sprint and then took on the primary income source task as an additional piece of work. This worked out nicely as there was no forced level of responsibility but allowed everyone to work on tasks that varied in difficulty for everyone’s individual level of understanding of the tools being used. If there was anything I would change with this way of working is that I think in a perfect world our tasks wouldn’t all be making changes to the same two files. In a perfect world, we would have had a couple people working on those tasks while we had other people developing another aspect of the final product. Unfortunately, there simply wasn’t enough work established for everyone to have something to do if we wanted to have a clear understanding of what we were developing.

For my personal work, I had to relearn how to do ng-if’s and the basics of angular. I remembered most of the html syntax but there were little things that I forgot but almost all of angular seemed to leave my brain since CS-343. The most difficult part of searching for information on Angular is that while incredibly outdated, many of the top results when searching are for AngularJS instead of Angular 2+. If not properly inspecting the tutorial, it could be relatively easy to miss this important detail. When completing my task regarding the household size, I had to come up with a way to make sure that if a person was a commuter, they were properly entering “1” as the value. I had trouble making this persist upon submission and originally decided on a hard overwrite that would default to 1 regardless of what a person entered for that field. The problem with this method is that a person could still consistently enter non-1 values and never learn that this is not expected. Tic came up with a great idea when developing his task to create a very much visible warning message near the box for the field that needs correction. I “stole” this idea and adjusted it to my field accordingly. When developing my other task for primary income source, it was much easier than the other task as there was no real logic to work into the html other than making sure the data was passed on submission to the model. The only other real logic was that a person could only have one primary income source, but that was fairly simple.

Overall I feel that we are in a good space heading into our final presentation. We had struggles early on and throughout most of the semester, but we finished strong. We finished with by far, our best sprint of the semester and I’m happy with what we got done during this final sprint.

Advertisements